- HP DL380 servers running ESXi 6.7.
- 256 TB of 3PAR storage accessed over 10 gbps iSCSI.
- Developers and QA engineers in ServiceNow's Itapp ITOM group were experiencing long build times from their VMware based Dev/Ops infrastructure.
- VirtuCache deployed on 3 ESXi hosts caching from LUNs on the 3PAR array to 1.6TB of Samsung PM1725 PCIe SSD locally attached in in each ESXi host.
- Using VirtuCache, ServiceNow was successfully able to reduce build times to a third of what they were experiencing before.
The Virtunet DifferenceLeveraging off the shelf Samsung PM1725 PCIe SSDs in each host, VirtuCache was able to deliver sustained 100 MBps throughput per host with VM level latencies under 5 ms at all times. A storage appliance upgrade to all-flash 3PAR was 10X more expensive.
ServiceNow’s Itapp Dev/Ops team wanted to improve storage performance from their existing HP 3PAR storage appliance and iSCSI storage network without requiring a hardware refresh.
VirtuCache Deployment: Virtucache was installed on 3 ESXi hosts caching to 1.6TB PM1725 PCIE flash cards. In our tests the PM1725 SSD did 250MBps at 1ms VM level latencies.
VirtuCache was configured to cache both reads and writes for all VMs (Write-Back caching). Writes were replicated to another SSD on another host (caching policy of ‘Write Back One Replica’). All caching and replication related operations in VirtuCache are automatic. Write replication is done to prevent data loss in case of host failure. If a host were to fail, then VirtuCache immediately syncs the SAN from backup copy of writes that are on another host.
Benefits: Using VirtuCache, ServiceNow was successfully able to reduce code compile times to a third of what they were experiencing before.
Signup for the VirtunetSystems Newsletter